Subscribe to the Newspaper
View the Online Newspaper
Search: Site   Web

Three defendants face life in jail in Baker shooting, carjacking

BARSTOW • Two of three defendants pleaded not guilty in court on Thursday to charges stemming from Tuesday’s shooting and carjacking near Baker.

Ana Dimas, 23, and Edwin Guerrero, 17, — along with the third defendant, Reginaldo Acosta, 21, — are facing life in prison if they are convicted, according to Major Crimes Deputy District Attorney Shannon Faherty.

Acosta will appear in court Friday. He and Dimas are booked at West Valley Detention Center, with bail set at $1 million. Guerrero, a minor, is being held at Juvenile Hall in Rancho Cucamonga, but will be tried as an adult.

All three are charged with robbery, carjacking and two counts of kidnapping while carjacking. Guerrero and Acosta are additionally facing charges of attempted murder.

Dimas and Acosta were arrested by California Highway Patrol officers at 11:09 p.m. Tuesday while attempting to flee on foot through the desert. They were transported to West Valley Detention Center.

Guerrero was arrested earlier in the afternoon that day, according to a San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department press release.

The arrests came at the end of a day-long pursuit of three suspects following reports of an attempted robbery and shooting at the Shell gas station on Razor Road and Interstate 15 in Baker.

After receiving the call to the Sheriff’s Department at 10 a.m., deputies arrived on scene and were told that a Hispanic male demanded money from a male victim and fired shots when the victim claimed to have no money. The victim received two shots to the upper body and was transported to the hospital.

The suspect, another Hispanic male and a white female fled in a Gold Honda on the southbound I-15.

Eight law enforcement agencies from California and Nevada joined together to search for the suspects, according to the press release.

Near the Bailey Road off-ramp of the I-15, the three suspects forced their way into a 2007 Toyota Highlander, which was pulled over and occupied by the car’s owner and his grandson. Sheriff’s dispatch were informed of the carjacking at 10:47 a.m., according to the press release.

As one suspect began driving the vehicle, the vehicle’s owner and one of the suspects fought in the back seat. The victim was shot in the fingers of his right hand.

Driving at high speeds, the driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into the runaway truck ramp west of the Nipton Road off-ramp.

According to the victim, the three suspects fled on foot, running in an easterly direction into the desert. Law enforcement continued searching the area.

Guerrero was taken into custody at 4:15 p.m., transported to the hospital and booked into Juvenile Hall, according to the press release.

At 11 p.m., CHP received a 911 call from a motorist who had seen two suspects on the freeway south of Yates Well and North of Nipton. Acosta and Dimas were taken into custody at 11:09 p.m. by CHP and taken to the Barstow Sheriff’s Station, according to the press release.

See archived 'News' stories »
Ads by Google

Profile Skills
50% off Learning Style Assessment