Most Viewed Stories
Newberry Springs school locked down after report of gunmen
NEWBERRY SPRINGS • Newberry Springs Elementary went into lockdown mode for nearly two hours Friday after students reported seeing two subjects with guns close to the school.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department received the report at noon, a sheriff's official said. By roughly 1:40 p.m., the threat was deemed over.
"Students reported seeing two subjects with guns off campus in the trees ... approximately 300 yards away," Sgt. Rob Alexander said.
Responding authorities set up a perimeter a couple of miles around the school but were unable to locate anyone with a gun, Alexander said.
At least 10 sheriff's units — including deputies from Apple Valley — were on scene, as well as five or six California Highway Patrol units and the sheriff's Aviation Division.
"There were no reports of anyone being shot, injured or confronted by any of the subjects," Alexander said. "There was a teacher who said she heard three 'pop' sounds."
However, no one saw the subjects fire a weapon. It's possible they were hunters, although they shouldn't have been that close to the school, he said.
Once the area was secured, students at Newberry Springs Elementary were counted.
"The majority of students were already in the cafeteria because we were at lunch," said Selena Sanchez, school secretary.
All other students had been ushered into the nearest building when the lockdown began, Sanchez said. After the all-clear signal was given, those students were then escorted to the cafeteria with the others.
Each student was accounted for once inside the cafeteria. Parents then had the option to pick up their children from school as classes resumed, she said.
Alexander said one deputy would remain on campus "for a while."
Shea Johnson can be reached at SJohnson@DesertDispatch.com or 760-256-4126.