Bomb scare temporarily shuts down access to Fort Irwin
False alarm Monday night prompts 3-hour gate closure
FORT IRWIN • A bomb scare Monday night prompted authorities to close the main gate at Fort Irwin to all traffic for three hours.
“At about 8:30 p.m., Fort Irwin police received a report of a bomb threat,” Fort Irwin’s Director of Public Affairs Pamela Portland said Tuesday. “It was alleged that the planned event would take place outside the front gate.”
Authorities “immediately closed the gate,” Portland said.
The gate was temporarily suspended at 8:45 p.m. “due to an ongoing security situation,” Community Information Manager Jason Miller wrote on the installation’s official Facebook page.
Fort Irwin’s police and fire departments and Explosive Ordinance Disposal Company investigated the report, according to Portland.
After investigation “deemed the threat not credible,” the gate was reopened at 11:30 p.m., she said.
Both inbound and outbound traffic were then allowed access through the gate.
It was unclear how many motorists had been left to wait during the investigation, Portland said.
Shea Johnson can be reached at SJohnson@DesertDispatch.com or 760-256-4126.