BARSTOW • A weekend fire caused by an electrical system malfunction destroyed three mobile homes inside a mobile home park on West Main Street, authorities said.
The Barstow Fire Protection District responded to reports of a structure fire at 1525 W. Main St. at 5:24 p.m. Saturday, according to a BFPD news release.
"The occupant was complaining of heat coming from inside the wall whenever she used certain outlets," Assistant Fire Chief Sal Corrao said.
The woman and her children were outside when the fire started, Corrao said.
"She grabbed a hold of her kids and her dog, ran across the street and called 911 just like she's supposed to," he said.
The fire eventually spread to two neighboring and unoccupied mobile homes, according to Corrao.
No injuries were reported.
Authorities later determined the faulty wiring which ignited the fire was in the rear bedroom of the woman's home.
Heat from the flames also broke windows at two houses on nearby Santa Fe Drive, though no other charring or flame damages were reported to other homes, according to Corrao.
Sixteen firefighters and four engines, with aid from the Marine Corps Logistic Base and San Bernardino County fire departments, contained the fire within half an hour, according to the news release.
Authorities estimate the blaze caused $40,000 in damages, including property and content loss.
Shea Johnson may be reached at (760) 256-4126 or at SJohnson@DesertDispatch.com.