BARSTOW • A pair of Barstow men arrested on suspicion of raping a 17-year-old Barstow girl in October were released after the district attorney's office decided not to press charges against them — citing insufficient evidence.

According to a Barstow Police report, the girl told police that she had been picked up near Stringham Park by two men on Oct. 21 or 22. The girl said  she was taken to a remote location where she was sexually assaulted by both men.

Police had arrested Anthony Zableckis, 21, and David Padilla, 18, on Oct. 26 on suspicion of rape. Both men were released from custody on Friday night.

Supervising Deputy District Attorney Julie Peterson said her office decided not to file charges against the two men because there was insufficient evidence in the case. She said her office was not requesting any additional information on the case.

Barstow Police Sgt. Andy Espinoza Sr. declined to comment on the case.

Contact the writer:
(760) 256-4122 or kjonas@desertdispatch.com