In addition to the decision regarding principals, the board took action on the following items:
• Opposing waste composting facility in Hinkley: The board unanimously adopted a resolution opposing the establishment of Nursery Products, a bio-waste composting facility, in Hinkley. It will be sent to state and county representatives. The resolution stated concerns that air pollution generated by the site would affect Hinkley School and Lenwood Elementary School.
• Graduation dates confirmed: The following graduation dates were approved: Barstow High School, June 18 at 7 p.m. at Langworthy Field; Central High School, June 16 at 6 p.m. at Richard Brown Memorial Auditorium; adult education, June 13 at 10 a.m. at Thomson Elementary School's auditorium.
Information items included:
• Snow days: The county approved the district's request to not make up three snow days in Dec. 2008.
• Insurance: The district has been reviewing different insurance vendors and will award a bid by June 9.
• Boundaries: A committee met for the first time to discuss adjusting elementary school boundaries, focusing on Cameron Elementary School and bordering elementary schools. The next committee meeting will be May 4 at 3:45 p.m.
• Transfers: All Barstow Intermediate School fifth-graders will be able to keep previous intra-district transfers when returning to elementary school next year.
• Teacher reassignments: Barstow Intermediate School teachers will receive a listing of open positions in the district by the end of the week, and teachers will be notified of placements in mid-May, according to Jeff Malan, assistant superintendent of personnel.
• BIS tenant: District officials are looking to rent out the Barstow Intermediate School building to potential tenants including the state or the county.