Updated at 1:30 p.m. Friday with additional information.
BARSTOW • One man was hospitalized and several people displaced from their homes by a fire at an East Main Street mobile home park Thursday night.
The fire, which was reported at 6:37 p.m., destroyed one mobile home and a recreational vehicle and heavily damaged another mobile home at the Colonial Trailer Park on the 2300 block of East Main Street, according to a Barstow Fire Protection District report.
A man living in one of the mobile homes was attempting to work on a metal swamp cooler with a grinder when flying sparks ignited the curtains inside the home, said Barstow Fire Division Chief Sal Corrao.
It was not clear what the man was trying to do with the cooler, he said.
The man, whose name was not released, escaped from the burning building with assistance from a bystander who was inside the mobile home with him. The mobile home resident sustained severe burn injuries. The bystander also received minor burn injuries but declined to be transported to the hospital, Corrao said. A woman who also lived in the home was uninjured.
The mobile home resident was treated at the scene by Desert Ambulance paramedics and transported to Barstow Community Hospital before being transferred to another area hospital for further treatment, Corrao said.
High winds spread the blaze to adjacent buildings.
"It would have been probably just the one building had the wind not been blowing," Corrao said.
Donald Duran, assistant manager of the park, did not have an update on the condition of the burn victim, whom he knew only as Pat, Friday afternoon.
Duran said a couple with four or five children who lived in the second damaged mobile home were able to get out unassisted. Mobile home park residents helped the woman living in the recreational vehicle, who was on disability and had leg problems, to escape before the fire spread to her home, he said.
The Red Cross is assisting the dislocated families, according to the fire district report.
Four engines and one truck from the Barstow district, Marine Corps Logistics Base and San Bernardino County Fire Department responded to the fire, which took about two hours to contain, according to the report.
The Barstow district estimated the damages at $50,000 and property and content loss at $22,000.
Contact the writer:
(760) 256-4123 or email@example.com