BARSTOW - Two men accused in the Jan. 5 execution-style killing of two local teens in an abandoned military bunker pleaded not guilty Monday afternoon.

Collin Lee McGlaughlin, 18, of West Covina, and David Brian Smith, 19, of Covina entered their pleas in Barstow Superior Court.

McGlaughlin and Smith were arrested last Thursday for the murder of Bodhisattva "Bodhi" Sherzer-Potter, 16, and Christopher Cody Thompson, 18.

McGlaughlin, named as the alleged shooter, was appointed a public defender and given a $2 million bail.

Superior Court Judge Steve Malone explained that $1 million was for the murder charge and $1 million was for the special allegation of discharging a firearm causing death.

Smith's bail was set at $1 million and he was represented by private counsel.

Both men stared straight ahead for the short time they faced the judge, but McGlaughlin looked at the standing-room-only courtroom out of the corner of his eye.

Deputy District Attorney Steven Sinfield charged McGlaughlin with first-degree murder with the special allegation of personally discharging a firearm to cause death, and kidnapping with the same allegation.

McGlaughlin faces 111 years to life in prison if convicted as charged.

Smith is charged with first-degree murder with the special allegation of using a firearm and kidnapping with the same allegation.

Smith faces 81 years to life in prison if convicted.

"We're hopeful as things unfold, more will come out about our client," said Defense Attorney Sarah Stockwell, who is representing Smith. "He's a really good kid. We're working as hard as we can for them in this tragic situation."

While relatives of both victims were at the arraignment, the parents of Cody Thompson chose not to go to court.

"I don't know if we're going to be able to go and sit there and stare at them," said his father, Mike Thompson. "Processing this and stuff, a lot of times people turn to anger and I have a feeling that's what might happen if I go to the courtroom."

Cody Thompson's mother, Pam Thompson, agreed saying she didn't think she wanted to look at their faces at all.

A pre-preliminary conference is scheduled for Jan. 29 and a preliminary hearing for Jan. 31, but Sinfield said he is sure they will be continued.