BARSTOW - Their job was done, and the crew of one of the Barstow Fire Protection District's engines was on their way to gas up their engine and head back to their station. Until they saw smoke wafting up from a trailer park on West Main Street Monday afternoon.

Just after extinguishing a fire inside a boxcar at the BNSF yard, firefighters responded to another fire at a trailer Desert Moon Mobile Home Park. No one was injured in either fire on Monday.

Around 3 p.m. on Monday, fire crews from the district put out a blaze inside a decommissioned boxcar sitting on a spur at the BNSF yard. District Division Chief Sal Corrao said employees from Barstow Truck Parts and BNSF were scrapping the boxcar when their tools caught some of the lumber and insulation on fire.

Paul Hernandez, whose Sixth Street house sits across from the where the boxcar caught fire, said he was watching a movie when he heard two popping noises outside. He said the black smoke billowed from the boxcar.

"I looked out the window and seen it all in flames," he said.

Two fire engines responded, Hernandez said, and quickly controlled the flames. With the fire under control, a giant forklift came and lifted the roof and walls of the boxcar from its base so crews could finish putting out the final flames and cleaning up.

On their way to refuel and then back to the station, firefighters saw smoke rising from a trailer at the Desert Moon Mobile Home Park at the 2300 block of West Main Street. An unoccupied motor home in space 55 caught fire shortly before 4 p.m. but the flames completely destroyed the structure, causing about $5,000 in damages said Barstow fire captain Rich Ross.

"It was fully involved by the time we got there," he said. "Our goal was to protect the other trailers from the flames."

Barstow firefighter were assisted by crews from the Marine Corps Logistics Base, Barstow and the Hinkley Volunteer Fire Department.

Firefighters' efforts were enough to stop the spread of the flames to neighboring mobile homes, although the blaze partially damaged an adjacent unoccupied trailer, causing about $2,000 dollars in damages. No one was injured in the incident, Ross said.

He said he was unsure how the fire started but that the trailer where the blaze began had caught fire once before.